Gmail Tip: Use plus to get more email addresses

 

Quick Gmail tip: use plus

Did you know you can insert a plus sign (+) in your University of Minnesota email address after your ID and before the @ sign, and gmail will still deliver the email?

Suppose your email address is itgoldy@umn.edu. Other valid emails:

  • itgoldy+noreply@umn.edu
  • itgoldy+usps@umn.edu
  • itgoldy+dev@umn.edu
  • ...you get the idea!
The email is delivered to you the same as usual. And the "to" address includes the plus, so you can use it for gmail filters. For example a filter could use, "deliveredto: itgoldy+dev@umn.edu." Very handy!

Examples of why this is useful

When I recently created a work account at the USPS.com site, I used the plus trick, and now I can filter email from that account into a label in my gmail. No need to even read it unless there's a problem!

While doing a lot of testing of an approval routing form, I entered my plus'ed emails as +supervisor, +assocdean, etc, so I could see where it was failing without having to do much work (or bother my real supervisor! ha!).

When I wanted to sign up for a Salesforce developer account to ask a question on the forum, it rejected my account creation because my email was in use. But I had no idea how to use my apparently already created account, a simple password reset didn't work, and I was in a hurry. Plus'ed email to the rescue!

I wanted to download a "whitepaper" on virtual conferences and to get it, you needed to provide the blogger/marketer with your email. I knew they were going to email me the whitepaper, so I couldn't use a fake email. So I just add "+junk" for later filtering straight past my inbox. (I set this up AFTER scooping up the white paper! Marketers love me, right?)

The possibilities are endless!

Comments