Don't let slow wifi get you down


While working from a home wifi connection, if you are experiencing issues with latency, a frozen screen, poor quality audio or getting disconnected in your Zoom and Google Meet virtual meetings, below are some tips that may help:

Router location matters

Your signal gets weaker the further it is from your router. Walls, floors and other physical barriers can affect your signal. Also, routers age quickly so check with your carrier to see if it is still recommended for the speed you are paying for. Watch a 2-minute video about wifi connectivity. Want faster wifi? Here are 5 weirdly easy tips

Exit other, unneeded applications on your computer

Virtual meetings can demand significant memory and processing power from your computer. Closing applications that you do not need during the meeting, will help the application run better.

Avoid other activities that will steal bandwidth

Don't start other bandwidth-intensive activities just before, or during, a virtual meeting. On your computer and on other computers and devices that share your Internet connection, avoid:
  • streaming video (e.g. Netflix, Hulu, YouTube)
  • large downloads
  • large uploads
  • other high-bandwidth activities

Mute your microphone when you're not speaking

When your microphone is on, the applications will devote part of your Internet connection to an audio stream for you, even if you are not speaking. Mute your microphone when you do not need it, and you will allow applications to use your Internet connection more effectively.

Stop your webcam video when you don't need it

I always encourage people to use their webcam video whenever possible but if you experience bandwidth issues, start your video only when you need to show yourself on webcam, and stop your video when it isn't needed.

Disable HD webcam video in Zoom

Sending high definition (HD) webcam video requires more bandwidth than sending non-HD. Disabling HD video will free up more of your Internet connection for other parts of your Zoom meeting.

Disabling HD video:

  1. Open the Zoom Client (found under the Start menu)
  2. From the Home tab, click Settings (Gear)
Zoom Client Home Screen

In the Settings window
  1. Click Video
  2. Uncheck "Enable HD".

Restart before your meeting

Restarting your computer clears the memory, speeds up performance and will reset your internet connection.

If you have additional tips, please share them in the comments!

Comments

  1. My computer likes to send my emails before I am done writing them at home. So weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had this happen too, using my laptop - because my wrist skims across the touch pad while typing. Maybe that's the case for you?

      Delete
  2. This is timely as I had trouble with my Wifi yesterday for the first time ever. I re-set my router then re-started my computer and it was better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So timely and helpful, Karen. Shared it with the spouse and now we're thinking to hang our router from the center of the room between the living room and kitchen - how's that sound? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few add'l tips that help me (connected to "OK" DSL): I run a speed test occasionally to see what "normal" is (our ISP has a specific URL for their customers - https://speed3.bevcomm.net/index.html). If my speed drops significantly below normal (happens about once a month or so), I've found that restarting (unplugging) my modem and router will re-establish the DSL connection and my normal speed returns. Also, for me, VPN cuts my speed in about half, so I'm strategic about when I'm connected with VPN.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've begun to connect to audio via phone instead of "computer audio." Connecting to audio via phone is usually a seamless process. (If it's enabled for the meeting in Zoom settings.) I do still connect to video, but my audio connection doesn't depend on bandwidth. Having audio cut out midsentence is a huge disruption, but it's not a big deal to have a pause in the video if I can still hear what the person is saying.
    -eli

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate this year end wrap up of QuickByte tips! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment